Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Serendipitous Jo's Twenty-Ninth Frolic of the Year

A Frolic and a Happy Dance too!

 

I started Elizabeth back in January 2015 as part of the DUCJC2015 on Day 14 then I stitched on her each IHSW weekend since then as the photo collage shows.  She is stitched on the 30 count linen and with the AVAS silks provided in the kit.  I was not a fan of the linen, it was quite rough, I guess it's similar to the linen Elizabeth would have used in 1820.  I also found the count quite large, I would have preferred 36 or 40 count for this project but again the count was chosen to match Elizabeth's original.  The silks were lovely to use and the chart was great, really clear with HUGE overlaps between pages so it was easy as you went from one part of the design to the next to see where you were.  Scarlet Letter have charted the sampler as it is today, which means there are gaps in the motifs where the thread has worn thin.  Coupled with Elizabeth's complete disregard for symmetry in places means this is not a chart for OCD sufferers!  I did resist the urge to correct the symmetry as I realised I could be recharting the whole thing at that rate and went with the chart.

I also added a little personalisation to the design.  The kit was a gift from my friend Nicola for all the help I gave her in setting up the Scarlet Letter Blogs so I added our pairs of initials rather than the charted ones.  I might add my signature and the date to the bottom too.  I always forget!

3 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous!! I love the idea of putting your friend and your initial's in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sensational, Jo, and good on your for resisting the temptation to make so much more work for yourself by re-charting. A truly lovely finish, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, Jo. Adding the initials was a lovely idea! Very wise to stitch it as it was charted. It's amazing to think the original was stitched in 1820. A lovely pattern.
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete