Saturday 21 January 2017

Bohemian Paisely Embroidery Frolic


Can embroidery count as part of the Friday Frolicking? I hope so because it is my Friday Frolic project at the moment.

I started this kit by Plaid Bucilla last Saturday as my 'Friday' Frolic project for the month. It is my fun break away from crocheting.

I bought the kit from Joann's Fabric with a 50% off coupon so it was only $3.50. You can't beat that price for a fun project to try out your embroidery skills on :)

I made progress by filling in the satin stitch areas, doing some outline stitches around the French knots, and attempting to stitch some lazy daisies. I don't know why, but I've never been a fan of the lazy daisy stitch. When I stitch one, it never seems as 'full' as what is pictured on my design.

If I try to leave them bigger, it seems like the stitch isn't secure so I pull the stitch tighter. I'm seriously considering pulling out those stitches and satin stitching those areas.

Does anyone in the Frolic group work on embroidery designs? If so, do you have any tips for lazy daisy stitches? Is it supposed to be a loose stitch?

After a few more weeks of frolicking, I should have this project finished. My next project for the Frolicking Fridays will be a Halloween design from last years JCS Halloween magazine as I had purchased the fabric and threads for it back in October.

Until next time ^____^

5 comments:

Mini said...

That is a beautiful embroidery project. Your lazy daisy stitches look good to me. I have done embroidery in past but not much to give advice :)

Brigitte said...

As far as I know we are free to show whatever needle craft we do. I have never done embroidery just cross stitch and some specialty stitches. This looks gorgeous, Rachel.

FlashinScissors said...

Hello Rachel,
Your embroidery is very pretty, and I think your daisies look good!
I have had problems with lazy daisies too! I find it depends on the type of thread I am using. Daisies stitched with perlé cotton hold their shape very well, but I find they are not so effective if stitched with stranded cottons. You don't want them to look loose, they should lay flat.
You could try looking at Sharon Boggon's stitch directories - there's an awful lot there, but I'm sure you would find help from her.
I have a little embroidery on my blog but not tutorials.
You might find help on utube.
Barbara x

Khristine Doiron said...

I just love those colors!! And I just watched a tutorial for lazy daisies on youtube, I am sure if you did a search you would probably find lots of tutorials, but I think yours look great :)

Stitching Noni said...

Gorgeous Friday stitching! Love the colours :o)